This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

KXCV-KRNW


News Brief

2010-07-29ST. JOSEPH, MO. |  By: Wayman

St. Joseph Fire Cause

Fire investigator Steve Henrichson says Roger Owens fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand on July 25 while his oxygen machine was on. Henrichson says Owens' clothes caught on fire and the oxygen caused the fire to spread rapidly at the Danford Hall Apartments in St. Joseph. The fire killed 89 year old Ellis Marion Stephens, and his 86 year old wife, Iris. Officials believe the couple, who were found in a hallyway, were overcome by smoke. Owens is reportedly recovering in intensive care at Heartland Regional Medical Center in St. Joseph. The owner of Danford Hall, which had more than 40 residents in 38 apartments, says the complex will reopen when repairs are completed.